Michigan Family Raises Awareness on Social Media Sextortion Scams as Three Nigerian Men Allegedly Contribute to Tragic Suicide of High School Football Player, 17
Michigan Family Raises Concerns about Social Media Sextortion Scams as Nigerian Individual Allegedly Contributes to Tragic Suicide of 17-Year-Old High School Football Player
Jordan DeMay, a student at Marquette Senior High School, was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on March 25, 2022, after he was contacted by an Instagram account that appeared to be from a woman with the username “dani.robertts,” Fox News Digital reported.
However, the account had been compromised and subsequently purchased by Samuel Ogoshi, a 22-year-old Nigerian individual who purportedly exploited the profile to coerce young men into sharing explicit images of themselves, as reported by the news outlet.
“I can send this nudes to everyone and also send your nudes Until it goes viral,” Ogoshi allegedly messaged DeMay after the teen sent an explicit photo of himself.
“Just pay me rn [right now]. And I won’t expose you,” the suspect reportedly responded.
“How much?” DeMay asked.
Ogoshi demanded $1,000, but the boy sent $300, leading the Nigerian man to allegedly threaten to send the explicit image to his family and friends if he did not send additional money, according to Fox News.
Hours later, DeMay told him he was going to commit suicide.
“Good. Do that fast. Or I’ll make you do it. I swear to God,” Ogoshi reportedly answered.
Among the individuals arrested in Nigeria were Ogoshi, along with Samson Ogoshi (20) and Ezekiel Ejehem Robert (19), both hailing from Lagos. They were accused of engaging in sexual extortion, targeting over 100 young men and teenage boys residing in the United States.
All three men are charged with conspiracy to sexually exploit minors, conspiracy to distribute child pornography, and conspiracy to commit stalking through the internet, WLUC-TV reported.
They are currently awaiting extradition to the United States.
Regarding the tragic demise of DeMay, Samuel Ogoshi faces charges of sexual exploitation and attempted sexual exploitation of a minor leading to death.
This charge carries a potential maximum sentence of life imprisonment, with a minimum of 30 years.
“My son was smart. He was a good student. He was a great athlete,” DeMay’s dad, John DeMay, told Fox News Digital in an interview Tuesday.
“Someone came to his bedroom at 3 in the morning and murdered him through Instagram when we were all sleeping at night, and we had zero chance to stop it,” he said.
The FBI said it “has seen a huge increase in the number of cases involving children and teens being threatened and coerced into sending explicit images online — a crime called sextortion.”
The agency said it has recently seen a spike in financial extortion cases targeting minors.
“In these cases, the offender receives sexually explicit material from the child and then threatens to release the compromising material unless the victim sends money and/or gift cards,” the FBI said, adding that victims should call 1-800-CALL-FBI.
In the previous year, the CyberTipline of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children received approximately 32 million reports related to suspected cases of child sexual exploitation.
As his son grew older, John DeMay admitted that he reduced his vigilance in monitoring the boy’s phone usage compared to previous years.
He emphasized the importance for parents and teenagers to educate themselves about the dangers of sextortion and establish a preparedness strategy in case they or someone they know become victims.
DeMay strongly urged victims to promptly power off their phones and contact law enforcement without delay if they suspect they are being targeted.
He also said he would tell his son that threats from the sextortionist were no reason to end his life.
“[Kids] have to just understand that this isn’t the end of whatever they think is their life, because it’s not,” DeMay told the outlet.